Select Page

A guardian is a person or corporation appointed by the court to be responsible for a person unable to make good decisions on his or her own. In Ohio, the ward may be mentally unwell, physically disabled or struggling with drug problems. Many wards are older people or very young people.

Gottschlich & Portune, LLP, of Dayton, has extensive experience in the area establishing guardianships for both minors and adults. We can assess the situation and make recommendations based on what the ward needs and what will benefit them the most. We have consulted on guardianships throughout the Miami Valley.

When Is Guardianship Appropriate?

Wards are people who need serious, continuing intervention. Guardianship is not for people who are simply disabled in some way. These are the different kinds of guardians:

  • General guardian: This person looks after both the personal well-being and financial interests of the ward.
  • Special guardian: A special guardian’s authority has a more limited scope. For instance, they may be responsible for health decisions but not financial ones.
  • Guardian ad litem: This guardian represents an incapacitated person in litigation, including probate matters.

When individuals are judged to be incapable of making good decisions for themselves, their property or the people in their care, the guardian steps in to make these key decisions.

Guardianship-Related Legal Services

If your loved one needs a guardian, they will also likely need other legal services down the road. Our attorneys can assist you with:

  • Creating and administering a special needs trust to ensure that your loved one is cared for
  • Qualifying your ward for Medicaid funded care
  • Representing you in litigation relating to guardianship
  • Creating a health care power of attorney
  • Providing representation in guardian ad litem cases

With our attention to detail and commitment to personalized service, we will make every effort to ensure that your loved one has all the support they need.

We Can Help Your Loved One Together

To discuss your guardianship challenge, talk to the estate law attorneys at Gottschlich & Portune, LLP, of Dayton, at 937-913-0200 — or describe your situation using this online form.