Gary is a 1971 law graduate of the University of Notre Dame, with degrees from the University College London in comparative law and The University of Dayton in economics. Early in his career, Gary served as an assistant prosecuting attorney for Montgomery County. In 1987, Gary began working for Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur, and later met Buzz Portune when the firm acquired Estabrook, Finn, and McKee. The two decided to leave Porter Wright, and along with John Mohr, formed Gottschlich & Portune, LLP in 1997.
Gary is a trial lawyer whose business experience and legal education have encouraged clients to rely on him in many challenging problems. He maintains a busy litigation caseload, representing businesses and individuals in commercial and business disputes, persons who have been victimized by trustees, executors, and others abusing powers of attorney. He has also helped those injured through accidents and medical malpractice and securities issues with broker dealers. He is admitted in the state and federal courts in Ohio.
In addition to his experience as a lawyer representing clients, Gary has been appointed an arbitrator on private panels and those on the American Arbitration Association, the National Association of Securities Dealers, the New York Stock Exchange, and the local courts. In this role, he has adjudicated small cases to those involving millions of dollars.
Gary has also served as an officer of the Dayton Bar Association and chaired its committees on the judiciary and legal economics. He has served on the Board of Governors of the Ohio State Bar Association litigation section and chaired its annual symposiums. Nationally, he has served in the American Bar Association’s trial evidence committee. Gary is also a past president of the Rotary Club of Dayton.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Ohio, 1971
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Notre Dame Law School, Notre Dame, Indiana
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1971
- University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1968
- Major: Economics
- University College London
- Major: Comparative Law
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association Litigation Section, 1985
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator
- National Association of Securities Dealers, Arbitrator
- New York Stock Exchange, Arbitrator
- Ohio State Bar Association, Board of Governors, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association’s trial evidence committee
- Dayton Bar Association, Officer
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President, Rotary Club of Dayton